Wednesday 25 January 2012

Kidney has permanent scarring

Feel like I've got a world record. I've been incredibly successful in failing to keep the kidney I was so kindly given happy and welcome in its new home. I rejected it unceremoniously for a few months, and then I got it nice and infected for good measure. I lost 100 creatinine points in so doing, landing at a round, and nasty sounding 200. That's 30% or so of kidney function remaining for those not in the medicinal know. You don't need to have any sort of degree to know it doesn't sound good.

I had an odd, almost out of body experience as I said, numbed and placid before a matronly consultant I've never met before and heard her say, in French, that I was unlikely ever to have children. They can't say for sure as it's such a big thing to say with just one biopsy that is, after all, not representative of the whole kidney given that they only take out such a tiny part, but it's not looking promising. My 'vascular' whatevers apparently aren't doing all that well after the long beating I've given them over the past 6 months. Whoopideedoodar.

I immediately, being female, a planner, and (although struggling a bit more now...) usually optimistic, have started looking at my options. They are:
1. Nothing. hope I'll defy all medical history and pop out a couple of beeming children, to the applause of all my friends of family. 'What a trooper' they cry. 'Only Kate!' etc... Yah right.

2. I go down the SURROGACY route. A friend's sister is in fact Avey in this blog . This is the surrogacy clinic that manages the whole thing. You have to stay in the country for 3 months when you pick up the child because that's how long it takes for the UK Embassy to administer a passport for your confused child.

3. Adoption... I just see words like 'Conseil General' and find myself downloading spreadsheets and ven diagrams and power point presentations like this one

Hard not to notice the big words, '9 MOIS' or 'AGREMENT REFUSE'.

Given my kidney luck, I'll probably be rejected a nice two years into the process.

And let's not forget the wonderful confusion of us being two Brits living in France.

Am I resident in the UK? Can I apply for Surrogacy UK? If I adopt a kid in France, is my kid then also British or would my own child then be of a different nationality from me?

Obviously, if anyone is in the same position as me (highly unlikely I now realise) or thinks they can help, I'd love some advice.

Feeling more than a little bit lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment