Thursday 9 February 2012

Is surrogacy greedy?

Well some just don't think twice do they. Story: Chinese parents have eight children by surrogates. 
(and, yes, all of these children are RIDICULOUSLY sweet. Especially the dumpling [sic] in the middle. Oh and the crying one. Asian children are always very cute, infact. Hmmmm. Nope. Back to own race. More on this later. Am garbling... In actual fact, though, this is a transparent portrayal of my thought processes these days. Garbled, dizzy thoughts that could all have huge implications if they don't land in the right formation.).

Interesting stat in the article, though, that 10% of couples have fertility problems. While my particular kidney related problem might be my current fascination, I do realise that I'm not on my own in facing these questions. In actual fact, knowing up front that this is my deal - nul points - is no bad thing. The waiting, the endless hoping and failing, must be the most soul destroying process, no doubt.

It seems stark that, while 10% of people are going through this, 10% of people aren't having children with surrogates. I think I might have got a little greedy thinking that it could be an option for me.  I've already had one borrowed organ. I shouldn't just move onto the next one so easily (ie. maternal functions on top of a kidney). I could be seen as just a little 'gourmand'?

I woke yesterday to this dull annoying ache positioned right above my kidney. Behind my ribs. In my back and  my stomach. Having been a hard nosed anti-hyperchondriac dudette prior to my kidney troubles, I now find this little stomach pain makes me go to bed early, tucking the sheets up under my nose and feeling terrified at what it could be: appendicitis? Pancreatitis? Something gross in my colon? Kidney infection/stones? Fallopian tube pregnancy? I ring the doctor to be comforted and they've prescribed me an xray of the kidney and my abdomen and a whole series of blood tests. I will woop like a chimpanzee on my way into hospital and hope I don't come out with blue skin.


1 comment:

  1. makes me laugh this post now, as I did eventually come out with Red skin. Red with Iodine.

    ReplyDelete