Wednesday 28 March 2012

Onwards and Upwards

Thank you for those who took the step of writing to me. Sorry to my husband who's querying my use of the word 'squidgy'

As promised, I bring you an entire posting on adoption and surrogacy. Get ready for a five minute lesson on why not to worry about your own fertility if you are, and on the weird and wonderful world we live in.

ADOPTION.

Photo to sum it up on the right
(being realistic about the age of the child in this case...): 

Welcome to the wonderful world of the Hague Convention. Before this was brought in, adopting from the US was a cinch. The Millibands did so for their two sons in 2007.
Now you have to apply for a homestudy in the country where you live. The 'Agrement pour Adoption' in my local language. We took a deep breath and have sent off the first of what I expect will be a barrage of documentation. Surprisingly, the French on the phone I've come across so far have been remarkably nice. This is rare, but perhaps they're carefully selected from amongst maternal nice people.

9 months later, apparently, after criminal record tests, medical certificates, photos, psychological tests and interviews with social services types (11 hours of interviews in total, apparently), you get your receipt. That lasts 5 years and for one child. With it, you can apply to adopt a child in any country within the Hague Convention. Most end up adopting from Africa/Asia because there's less of a time lag. We'd be going Caucasian and hopefully a baby. "I'm writing because we are interested in adopting a Caucasian newborn" go these remarkably surreal emails I've started sending to find an 'outgoing' adoption agency in the US.

Guess that if you didn't get the dream choice, as you couldn't bear the wait, the process would look a bit like this (right): 

The oddest part of this whole thing is coming across, on practically every adoption site, these dreadful photo listings of children who are up for adoption. I pick one, at random, to show you. It's dreadful to see them all lining up like that. For the older ones who are more adept on computers than me, it must be harrowing to see yourself up there for ages and no-one clicking 'interested'. Soul destroying no doubt. It is no surprise that the vast majority are disturbed and 'difficult' children. The 'ads' make devastating reading.
This is not a light and cheerful pass-time.

SURROGACY.

Delighted to say that I think I've made some good discoveries. The fear of surrogacy is that you part with 4 years salary and then the surrogate mother doesn't get pregnant/miscarries and you're left really sad and also really broke.
  • Los Angeles (due to US medical fees) is simple but crushingly expensive at around 100-150K$ (depending on whether you need an egg donor too)
  • Ukraine is about 20K$, but there are loads of reports of fake pregnancies or trafficking babies to pass off as genetic ones, and people running off with your cash, so I think I'd also opt for 5-10K$ with a legal firm who manage all the transactions and check your surrogate mother isn't a Nigerian with a fat cigar.
  • UK we'd need to find a surrogate mother who liked the look of us. We'd have to move back too. There are no fees that swop hands between you and the mother. This is altuism at its best.
  • India again is interesting as, while only costing around 25k$, it did have the downside of having to wait 3 months in India post birth to get UK citizenship for your child. My clever husband was born in the US, though, so we could apply for US citizenship which only takes 3-4 weeks, return home to France and apply for UK citizenship from here. As a Brit, you need to add on 5K for a 'parental order' so that you become the mother. This is tedious, but probably necessary.
Of all this lot, I think this agency is taking my interest the most, and answering my emails quickly and efficiently. According to one of the million online blogs/websites I've read on this all, that's something not to be disregarded. This is about efficiency and professionalism after all. It's a 'process'. They have a UK branch, they find you another surrogate if your 'chosen one' isn't able to get pregnant for no further fees and they have legal advisers for the genetic DNA checks and visa applications. Hell, they even send a chauffeur to pick you up from the airport. I've got about 20 email addresses of other 'intended parents' who've gone home with their tiny packages too. Next step blanket emailing 'Hello, I'm looking to etc....'. Again, very very surreal.


That's all. I hope this is more positive than the last update. Onwards and upwards as I said. Who knows, I might end up with triplets.


[If this was useful, you might find a more recent post about a meeting with a surrogacy agency I had interesting too, and - 'pitfalls of surrogacy. Look before you jump']


No comments:

Post a Comment